Something in the Basement

An archive containing past featured spotlight works, what we consider, some of the best works on TPS. Feel free to leave comments.
Namyh

Post by Namyh » November 9th, 2014, 10:04 pm

I heard it before I felt it, a low whistling sound it was like knives slicing air swiftly. Gut reaction and reflexes made me move without thinking to avoid it. Still, knifelike claws fiercely scraped against my ribcage and liquid started running. I began leaping up the basement stairs. Something savage in the dark was at my heels. I couldn’t risk looking for fear it would slow me down. Pure terror clutched my heart now pumping at breakneck speed.

I jumped two and three steps at a time. The foul stench of its breath singed the hairs on the back of my neck. I could feel the adrenaline being pumped at almost terminal velocity thru my veins. Bloody liquid was running down my leg. I didn’t care. I could see it, the door at the top of the stairs – only 7 steps to go. Claws screeched against a wall and startled my ears – only 5 steps to go. Something grabbed at my ankles. It missed – only 3 steps to go.

I lunged for the doorknob, turned, opened and closed it all in one motion. With my back riveted against the door, I gasped for breath. The terror behind me pounded and pounded, snarling in frustration. Each pounding lifted me off the door. Pieces of wood flew to the floor. Ejected like bullets were door hinge screws. Wood began crumbling. It was coming through pounding and pounding and pounding!

Then unexpectedly, it stopped ! Frighteningly, it stopped ! It stopped with an abruptness that left me shivering, sweating and waiting in the silence. What happened? Confused thoughts raced in my head. The breath slowly returned to my drenched body and I could hear a low whistling sound like knives slicing air going down, fading and melting into a descending darkness. It was leaving. I had escaped. I breathed easier. I smiled self-satisfied thinking that I’m of a species who is at its best when things are at their worst. I was starting to feel a lot better.

Then…Boom!…the floor beneath me caved in ! Wood splintered. Beams shattered. Metal twisted. One hand grabbed the doorknob above and held on. My legs dangled over the emptiness. The sweat made my hand slip. I couldn’t hold on anymore. I plunged screaming into the nothingness beneath. I hit the floor with the impact of a bomb going off. Pain shot up my arm. Wood scraped across my back. I was in the basement again! Oh no, no, no! Then I heard it. I froze. That breathing. Those breaths. Those knifeclaws whistling nearer! And nearer! And nearer!

Then I remembered something ! Odd time to remember something. I remembered chuckling at my kids telling me “Watch out for the monster in the basement, Dad.” I don’t think I’m going to get a second chance to forget it or even chuckle again !

Then the lights snapped on. I heard my wife’s voice upstairs. She said “Honey, are you okay? There’s a hole in the floor.” I looked around. The monster was gone. Where did it go? Was it the lights? What happened? Enough with the questions. On your feet! Again, I raced up those stairs. Grabbed the wife. Grabbed the kids. Grabbed the car keys and bolted from the house into the night. And you can bet we won’t be back anytime soon. Whew! I need a drink. Somedays, you just never know. That’s when one of my kids in the back seat said “Told ya Dad!”

I started the car, threw it into gear and let off the brakes. The side view mirror showed like a small TV and it stopped me cold. In it, I saw lights flashing on police cars and the neighbors who must have called them. Then my house door flew open. A frightful silhouette stood in the doorway. Nobody moved. Its mouth opened. Flames blasted out. The lawn started burning. Cops began firing. The neighbors started scattering. The silhouette began running. Then it turned and galloped towards me. Whoa! I told the family to strap in. I gunned the engine.

At first, it was just a cloud of dust in my rear view. I was already doing 45. In the cloud, I saw hooves and claws. I shot to 55. It was like a hound after us. I hit 65 and it was gaining, gaining. I could see its eyes. I saw the fire from its nostrils. I hit 75 miles an hour. The next thing I knew, it was galloping and looking at me from my driverside window. I saw flames. I smelled burning paint peeling off the car. Smoke filled the inside. The kids were screaming. The wife was screaming. I was screaming. What in the hell was it. I was doing 80 and it was running right alongside me breathing fire. Looking at us! Looking at me! Geez! Is this what chased me out of my basement?

I panicked and grit my teeth. I slammed the accelerator, punched it. We lunged forward and swerved. I recorrected and hit over 100 miles an hour. I looked thru my window. The thing was gone. I looked in the rear view. Nothing there either. I could see the dim lit town just up ahead. I’m going straight, straight through it! Look, I don’t know what that thing was and I don’t even want to know. One thing I do know is that I’m not stopping until our screaming stops...or my heart gives up...or the gas runs out! Whoa!

Namyh
Last edited by Namyh on February 16th, 2015, 8:47 pm, edited 14 times in total.

rupertpupkin

Re: "Something in the Basement"

Post by rupertpupkin » November 10th, 2014, 10:24 am

Hi Namyh. Thank you so much for this speeding bullet of a ride. The pace never lets up and it's great how you build up the story in so few words. Sometimes when I'm reading something in the short story board I decide whether to read on after only having read a couple of lines. It's so important to grab the reader right from the start. And you have realised that so well. Never once did I become bored. Good job with this, well done, Sean.

ImageImage

Namyh

Re: "Something in the Basement" (Horror)

Post by Namyh » November 14th, 2014, 10:36 pm

Sean – So very happy you hopped on this speeding Sanctuary Bullet ride where the pace never lets up and after arriving at your final destination you realize that you never got bored taking the poetic scenic-route. No poet could ask for more than that. I wanted to grab the reader right from the start and put them smack dab in the middle of a nightmare where they could bring their own monster of fear to the movie. Now I’m kinda glad you kept on reading Sean. Come on back and ride again. We’ll keep your seat open. All aboard! Namyh

ramfire
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Something in the Basement

Post by ramfire » November 19th, 2014, 1:13 pm

This is a ghost story not to tell your kids when you're gathered in front of a camp fire. It is too frightening. I'm glad it turned out well in the end. That house is going to be a drag on the real estate market.

Namyh

Post by Namyh » November 27th, 2014, 3:53 am

ramfire – I think if you tell a story like this around a camp fire gathering, I’d worry about the adults collapsing. The kids will probably be fine but extra oxygen might be needed for the grown ups. I’m very glad it all turned out well too. As for the house, it began to crinkle with a crumbling collapse into a single ball of light that went ‘Poof”. The neighbors ran tumbling into their homes, especially when the Twilight Zone music started. LOL. Thanks ramfire for stopping in to catch a little fright. Namyh

BarryC

Post by BarryC » January 22nd, 2018, 8:12 am

simply amazing-well done

Namyh

Post by Namyh » July 21st, 2018, 9:27 am

BarryC - So happy to inject an "amazing" into your day. Namyh