This, my Autumn Day

An archive containing past featured spotlight works, what we consider, some of the best works on TPS. Feel free to leave comments.
Jerryk
Elite Member
Elite Member

This, my Autumn Day

Post by Jerryk » December 10th, 2014, 6:44 am

This, my Autumn Day

A fall day such as this I’ll keep
Emblazoned in my memory;
A finer one, with friendly skies,
I doubt that I shall ever see.

Soft winds drive lamb-shaped cumulus
Across the sky; this is the end
Of summer’s heat, and I rejoice,
Applaud this overdue godsend.

The air is crisp, and my two dogs
Run non-stop through the yard and play
With fallen citrus, “catching ball.”
Oh, such pleasant autumn day!

On hill tops, kids fly homemade kites,
So high, they seem to touch the clouds;
I let mild gusts fan me and watch
Soft creatures form in vapor shrouds.

This is an autumn such as I have
Seldom seen before; who knows—
Shall I see another one like this?
Well—if not, that’s how it goes.

But, should I not behold again
This golden season’s manifest,
Feel crisp air bringing on sweet change,
At least, with this one I’ve been blest.

~verses from an old-fashioned bard; no ambiguities intended~
JerryK aka Alishonak, Snowbells, et al.

Mizzy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: This, my Autumn Day

Post by Mizzy » December 10th, 2014, 3:07 pm

Fantastic appreciation for a
wonderful season Jerry,
I love your descriptions.....especially
your lines on the clouds !

I hope you see many many more.....

Regards.....Mick.

“Life is short, live it. Love is rare, grab it. Anger is bad, dump it. Fear is awful, face it. Memories are sweet, cherish it.” – Unknown

Jerryk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jerryk » December 10th, 2014, 5:26 pm

Mizzy wrote:Fantastic appreciation for a
wonderful season Jerry,
I love your descriptions.....especially
your lines on the clouds !

I hope you see many many more.....

Regards.....Mick.
Hi there, Mick;
we are having a long fall, and even now, there's no sign of winter. To experience snow, I would have to go up north to Flagstaff, some 90 minutes by car. Would you believe this? Oranges and lemons are ripening in my small orchard and my wife just juiced a bunch of sweet oranges. This is the time at which I really come alive. Thank you for reading Mick; it's very nice of you. :smile: Jerry

Liquid Bear
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Liquid Bear » December 10th, 2014, 5:36 pm

This is a plain-spoken, heartwarming tribute to my favorite season. I very much enjoyed the "soft winds" which drive "lamb-shaped cumulus across the sky", fantastic image. As I've already pointed out in a previous comment, I love the way you mix psychological insight with clear imagery. This poems speaks of contentment and communion with Nature and is a testament to your ability as a poet.

Bear

Image Image

"I cry out for magic/I feel it dancing in the light/It was cold/Lost my hold/To the shadows of the night" (Ronnie James Dio)

Jerryk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jerryk » December 10th, 2014, 6:14 pm

Liquid Bear wrote:This is a plain-spoken, heartwarming tribute to my favorite season. I very much enjoyed the "soft winds" which drive "lamb-shaped cumulus across the sky", fantastic image. As I've already pointed out in a previous comment, I love the way you mix psychological insight with clear imagery. This poems speaks of contentment and communion with Nature and is a testament to your ability as a poet.

Bear
Hi there, Bear;
I appreciate you kind words. I must say, those strictly modern writers have no use for me because I prefer the use of everyday language in my nature poetry. I suppose I'm a throwback to the 18-19th century romantic movement, but I can enjoy most any poetry--as long as the poet does not expect me to have my extensive dictionary in front of me while reading his or her poetry, lol. I abhor befuddled metaphors as well. Thank you, LB. :smile:
Jerry

Liquid Bear
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Liquid Bear » December 11th, 2014, 3:04 am

Jerryk wrote:
Liquid Bear wrote:This is a plain-spoken, heartwarming tribute to my favorite season. I very much enjoyed the "soft winds" which drive "lamb-shaped cumulus across the sky", fantastic image. As I've already pointed out in a previous comment, I love the way you mix psychological insight with clear imagery. This poems speaks of contentment and communion with Nature and is a testament to your ability as a poet.

Bear
Hi there, Bear;
I appreciate you kind words. I must say, those strictly modern writers have no use for me because I prefer the use of everyday language in my nature poetry. I suppose I'm a throwback to the 18-19th century romantic movement, but I can enjoy most any poetry--as long as the poet does not expect me to have my extensive dictionary in front of me while reading his or her poetry, lol. I abhor befuddled metaphors as well. Thank you, LB. :smile:
Jerry
Then I guess we're pretty much on the same page poetry-wise (no pun intended LOL). I tend to be a restless writer, so now and then I'm drawn to experiment with different styles, but the poems I like the most among the ones I've written are the short, minimalistic ones, where language is mostly a medium through which to convey imagery which should in turn suggest feelings. Somebody, talking about Tarot cards, described them as "frozen dreams". I see my poems pretty much the same way, as mini-realities which mix the everyday and the surrealistic, without resorting to arresting juxtapositions or pompous metaphors. That's why I enjoy classic Chinese and Japanese poetry so much. Nature imagery is pravelent in those styles, and the feelings the poets want to convey are very skillfully woven into the small web of images they weave. I strive for the same results. Hopefully, I succeed, now and then ;)

Bear

Image Image

"I cry out for magic/I feel it dancing in the light/It was cold/Lost my hold/To the shadows of the night" (Ronnie James Dio)

Jerryk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jerryk » December 11th, 2014, 7:46 am

Hi Liquid Bear;
yes, we are in agreement; I also experiment with different poetry forms, but sooner or later one discovers a style that suits me as a writer. Funny that you should mention the tarot cards; I just finished a poem about those soothsayers' tools, lol. And those Asian poetry forms are quite to my liking as well. Thanks again,
Jerry

Dana Renee

Post by Dana Renee » December 12th, 2014, 3:08 pm

The picture you paint here is just beautiful, perfect, peaceful, one that I'm sure many can relate to. I found myself wishing live in this exact day you describe. I love this! Thank you for sharing.

My Poet File

Publications
Peace, Splash of Verse 2007/2008 (unsure)
Love, Patchwork Musings 2009
Treacherous Tolerance, Reflections 2010

Copyright: Dana Renee' Billingsley, 2006 - Current
(AKA Gurl23 - joined TPS Feb 2006)

Jerryk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jerryk » December 12th, 2014, 4:01 pm

Dana Renee' wrote:The picture you paint here is just beautiful, perfect, peaceful, one that I'm sure many can relate to. I found myself wishing live in this exact day you describe. I love this! Thank you for sharing.
Thank you, Dana;
I think most of us long for such a peaceful and relaxed day, unless one is so totally callused and materialistic that there is no room for serenity in one's mind. I'm glad my poem appeals to you, Dana. Be well, :smile:
Jerry

JASON
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JASON » December 15th, 2014, 9:11 am

nice Jerry - reminded me of Longfellow - just the type of day he would have appreciated.
you capture the imagery poetically - good job.

Jim
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jim » December 15th, 2014, 11:05 am

Days such as this one are rare indeed
It takes a poet's heart and eyes to recognize and capture it in words.
Truly a jewel
Peace
Jim

Image Image

Jerryk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jerryk » December 15th, 2014, 11:17 am

JASON wrote:nice Jerry - reminded me of Longfellow - just the type of day he would have appreciated.
you capture the imagery poetically - good job.
Thanks for your comment; every so often one experiences such a fine day, soon to be overshadowed by those imperfect ones. BTW, I enjoy reading and writing poetry that spells everything out. No vague metaphors and such ambiguities are ever intended, and this poem falls into that category. Thanks Jason, :smile:
Jerry

khurram

Post by khurram » December 16th, 2014, 12:38 pm

Fine poem. Autumn can be a blessing with all its charms. Loved the verse. :happyy:

Jerryk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jerryk » December 16th, 2014, 2:25 pm

Khurram wrote:Fine poem. Autumn can be a blessing with all its charms. Loved the verse. :happyy:
Khurram, thanks for the nice comment; autumns, my most-favorite season. Glad you like my write, :smile:
Jerry

Jerryk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jerryk » December 17th, 2014, 9:34 pm

DragonsOfRose wrote:And that you have, Jerryk, just like I've been blessed to read your musing! I started out highlighting little snippets to comment upon ... but by the end of reading it all, I realized I'd highlighted the entire thing! You have a wonderful way with expression, J. Such a wonderful read!
What can I really say, DoR,
but thank you for such a generous comment.
I suppose I'm a throwback to the era of romanticism
and therefore this style is the one that comes
natural to me. Thank you for your kind remarks. :smile:
Jerry

Ladywildalice
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Ladywildalice » December 23rd, 2014, 6:35 pm

Well, congrats, Jerry, for this well deserving write being Spotlighted. It seems it is now my turn to praise your writing, as you so aptly and routinely, freely do with mine own. I am grateful for every visit, and hope to see you here on the Spotlight board again soon. That is going to be a sure bet with writing such as this. Very enjoyable and admired. Sue

'Where ecstasy leaves gravity and dances with wild eyes' by Ladywildalice

Josie

Post by Josie » December 23rd, 2014, 9:21 pm

The lamb-shaped cumulous, the dogs playing catch with the fallen citrus, the crisp air and mild gusts all added to the splendid Autumn Day. Congratulations on the TPS Spotlight.

Image Image