Made of Glass

An archive containing past featured spotlight works, what we consider, some of the best works on TPS. Feel free to leave comments.
IronHeart

Made of Glass

Post by IronHeart » November 6th, 2014, 9:30 pm

I’m made of glass,
seen through but never seen,
my pane is clear
and invisible.

I give vision,
imparted through my naked self,
that light so warm
leaves me cold.

I long to be touched,
like when in those days long ago,
a child’s playful finger
placed a smile upon me.

But, such children were scolded,
and I was cleaned,
by chemicals
and frowns.

Though my being is fragile,
I have an unyielding heart,
a portal for two worlds
which I hold wide open.

The east and the west,
heaven and earth
meet together through me,
my holy privilege.

For this I was made,
a paradox of proverbs,
profound and alone, alas..
I’m made of glass.

Farkas

Re: Made of Glass

Post by Farkas » November 7th, 2014, 8:56 am

Hi

I felt a loneliness, a sadness as I read the lines of this poem. Glass is a most fitting metaphor to describe such feelings. I noticed that you are Iron Heart. Glass shatters, iron rusts. I wonder.

Farkas :hat:

Balustrade
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Balustrade » November 7th, 2014, 9:34 am

The concept you so thoroughly handled is prime. Quite original and every word makes perfect sense. How it reflects on the speaker leaves the reader with profound sadness. I would re-visit this piece a lot for it resonates well.

Formerly known as DJK, and once fleetingly known as Win-der-mere.

MikelFirewalker

Post by MikelFirewalker » November 7th, 2014, 1:45 pm

a VERY thought-provoking poem...it reminds me of my poem, "Androgyny", because the person speaking the poem feels invisible to everyone, and therefore totally cut off from any possibility of giving or receiving love...we know no self-aware being can survive this kind of isolation...so, where/how do/can we ease such loneliness in ourselves and others?...and where do we begin?

michael

potentialpoet

Post by potentialpoet » November 7th, 2014, 3:41 pm

The pane of glass metaphor is very original, and beautifully exploited here. Maybe the most important words are "my holy privilege," because that imparts a very positive feeling to what is otherwise something more remorseful, resigned. At any rate, a powerful work, very imaginative and engaging.

IronHeart

Post by IronHeart » November 8th, 2014, 12:05 am

Thanks everyone,

I know I touched on something great here, and now that I read it again there are so many things I want to tweak. Perhaps a different form would suit it better? Well, I'll revisit this again soon, I hope.. before this muse hides away completely.

As for you, your words have touched me. This time of year is a difficult one for me, it's the focal point of many complex circumstances and extreme experiences through which I'm still struggling. I was about to try and share some of it here, but by the time I had scratched even the surface of my story, I was getting close to having written a full-length chapter.

It's a lot =^\

So, thank you. You may never know how, but your kind words touched the forgotten boy of long ago in me.