Ciaccona

An archive containing past featured spotlight works, what we consider, some of the best works on TPS. Feel free to leave comments.
dreamrr

Ciaccona

Post by dreamrr » October 23rd, 2014, 6:49 pm

The violinist was playing the Chaconne from Bach's D Minor Partita for solo violin. His knotted fingers were still nimble enough to play the demanding thirty-second notes and the frequent double through quadruple stops. The old violinist is grieving the loss of his wife. The theme was haunting, as it reminded him of Dante's descent into the Inferno's dark regions.
There is great pain, as quarter notes languished in the pit's fire, while the stops shrill in agony. The rapid arpeggios conjured an image of lover's caught in a great whirlwind, where they float about without rest, wailing as they fly. In that circle of melancholy hell, their countenance changed where red, twilight lips shed its rosy hue. He can only recall his pale kiss upon her pallid lips.
The poet asked two weary souls caught in the tempest, to pause. The winds subsided and the music changed from one of sorrow to optimistic hope. Francesca speaks, while Paolo is silent, weeping. She tells the poet that they were once lover's who, in their carnal lust, lost reason to appetite.
As the violinist shift from major key to minor, the windstorms returned. And in that last cadence of grief, the Chaconne ends on a defiant and somber note.

the abyss -
a shrill wind
in the darkness

mangodog
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Ciaccona

Post by mangodog » October 23rd, 2014, 11:38 pm

mmmm......moody, dark, scary, mysterious -
and all from a violinist's sadness....

quite beautiful....drew

Dew
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Dew » November 3rd, 2014, 7:32 am

marvelous! absolutely masterful! you really leveraged everything you had at your haibun! I got trapped and lost amid the violinists background, the music he played, the meaning of the movement, and his thoughts on dante...this little bit of reading is wrapped in layers of beautiful significance! I completely adored it! EXALT! - dew

Jim
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jim » November 5th, 2014, 12:31 pm

EXalt a hundred times over
this is the best Haibun I've ever read
Many bows old friend

Image Image

dreamrr

Post by dreamrr » November 6th, 2014, 8:55 pm

Thank you, mangodog, for your kind comments, but it is Bach who leads one (at least me) through his "moody" Chaconne to all sorts of interpretations.

Banditore, thank you for your impression of the haibun as being "atmospheric," which I hoped it would be wih the assist from Dante.

Most kind, Dew and high praise coming from you! I have read your poetry on several forums and must confess that I'm a secret admirer of your poetic talents. Thanks for the Exalt, Dew.

Jim, old buddy, your lavish praise is most humbling, as I consider you the "true" Master in any poetic genre. I remember back in 2008, when I use to read your poems on the Nature forum. Of all the fine poets on all the forums, only you have the uncanny ability to chisel a masterpiece, as though from marble, and express the most lofty thoughts in an accessible manner to the reader. Thanks for the Exalt, Jim and many bows to you, old friend.

dreamrr

Jim
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jim » November 7th, 2014, 3:49 pm

well if you consider me the master (which I certainly do not )than you have surely surpassed me.
2008 ... where does the time go
I haven't written much else besides haiku since I became a haiku addict.

This piece should be in thespotlight

Image Image

Jerryk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jerryk » November 7th, 2014, 9:32 pm

Hi, Dreamrr;
being an 'old' amateur violinist myself, naturally this haibun captured my attention and imagination. In that old violinist, I see Orpheus pleading with Pluto for the return of his wife, Eurydice. Great images in this fascinating haibun. Downright eery, meant in a nice way. Thanks for this enjoyable write.
Jerry

~verses from an old-fashioned bard; no ambiguities intended~
JerryK aka Alishonak, Snowbells, et al.

dreamrr

Post by dreamrr » November 15th, 2014, 10:08 am

I too, am an old amateur violinist and have attempted to play the Chaconne and I barely get out of the gate. As you know, it is quite a demanding piece. Dante's story is similar to the tragedy of Orpheus and Euridyce. I am glad you enoyed it. Thanks for your comments.

dreamrr

Jim
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jim » December 1st, 2014, 10:51 am

congratulations this spot is well-deserved old buddy

Image Image

BarryC

Post by BarryC » December 2nd, 2014, 2:20 pm

splendid shimmering prose-well done

potentialpoet

Post by potentialpoet » December 2nd, 2014, 9:30 pm

You had me from "carnal lust." It's interesting how poetic this reads. Nice change of pace for the TPS.

JASON
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JASON » December 5th, 2014, 4:02 pm

wonderful work - congratulations on the spotlight.

jsol

Post by jsol » December 6th, 2014, 9:55 pm

Absolutely dazzling. Incredible interpretations and powerful visions. You move back and forth from the physicality of flesh and blood to the emotive soaring of spirit like the bow of the violinist across his strings. A must re-read.