the isms

An archive containing past featured spotlight works, what we consider, some of the best works on TPS. Feel free to leave comments.
garic

the isms

Post by garic » April 17th, 2014, 10:05 pm

-
[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]meditation[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space] is
-
[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]prayer [space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]is possibility
-
[space][/space]manifestation[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]the possibility is.

Baywriter
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: the isms

Post by Baywriter » April 18th, 2014, 5:14 pm

Really cool use of spacing and line breaks in this one because it allows the reader to break it up and interpret it as they please and allows such a short piece to take on multiple meanings. I also liked the line "prayer is possibility." Well done.

Bay

3 replies for every poem you post! You get what you give!

Philip16
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Philip16 » April 18th, 2014, 8:36 pm

I really like the way that this poem contrasts meditation, prayer and manifestation. To me, there seems to be a progression from a more passive, waiting stance then on to action, the manifestation of what may have been gained in meditation and then prayed for. I think about Michelangelo and the Sistine Chapel, and certainly he meditated on, thought about what he was going to paint for quite a while before he actually did. So, the beauty was in his mind before it was ever on the ceiling. Many would say that our lives are a "work of art", so is it worthwhile to try to find the beauty and meditation in prayer before looking for the action to manifest it?
Very thought provoking poem!
Philip16

Remember, in order to facilitate community development, comment on 3 poems for every one that you post.

up2quark

Post by up2quark » April 19th, 2014, 2:01 am

Short message, with a unique flow, that represents the single minded perception of Reality. Great insights!

dwells
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by dwells » April 21st, 2014, 7:50 am

The mind, the need, and the delivery perhaps. Or to say another way: thoughts, requests, and possession. Anyway - I know what I mean, even if I can't quite put it in words. Very unique and pensive piece here Garic and I feel something taking shape from the well of abstract ideas. The title has become almost a pejorative expression for negative concepts; conjured up by the mind of Man, cheers!

ImageImage Image

everhopeful
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by everhopeful » April 21st, 2014, 12:42 pm

Wow, this is so clever, utilising the formatting to make nine words really count for a lot more! Although the contrast between the last two lines is noted, I like the 'blank' of meditation, because that really sums up what meditation should be, a blank slate of nothingness.
I'm impressed by this one!

garic

Post by garic » April 25th, 2014, 12:35 pm

I wrote it several years ago - and am glad it is passing the test of time. It was the outcome of an assignment from a spiritual teacher of mine who asked us to write a definition for meditation, prayer, and manifestation. She had many students in a three year written program - so I set intent to keep my responses condensed and concise.

I am really happy that a community like this exists, where this writing that "became manifest" can be shared and appreciated.

domvanday

Post by domvanday » May 19th, 2014, 2:39 pm

Well I am sure there are many poetic parameters and euphemisms that can be thrown at this all day, what I loved was that I was reading and re-reading for at least the time it takes to read a complete fable! It was intellectual fun with tangents everywhere, and though a different experience, it was a great one. Congrats on a well deserved spotlight.

BarryC

Post by BarryC » May 20th, 2014, 1:13 pm

fully deserving of the spotlight-well done

inflames
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by inflames » May 20th, 2014, 8:54 pm

I love when poets play with the formatting of their poems. This is really well done! Thanks for sharing and congrats on your spotlight!

"I don't see novels ending with any real sense of closure."
– Michael Ondaatje

JASON
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JASON » May 23rd, 2014, 4:25 am

the spacing and the pauses make for a super read - congratulations on the spot.

peterandrewday

Post by peterandrewday » May 23rd, 2014, 8:51 am

Really puts the 'is' in 'ism', I like it, a spot of quirk in the Spotlight, just enough to make the reader think, pared down to the bare minimum of meaning, though maybe what purports to mean little means lots: congrats!

ImageImage Image Image

tangerinepie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by tangerinepie » May 23rd, 2014, 3:19 pm

Yes, just brilliant to make every word tell an entire story.The philosophical nuances were thought provoking.A wonderful spotlight choice..All the best..Tangie..

Josie

Post by Josie » May 23rd, 2014, 6:04 pm

This was a very unique presentation of few words, contemporary in lay out that encouraged the reader to mix and match words with phrases to see if the meaning changed or offered new reflections. Congrats on the TPS Spotlight recognition.

Image Image