The Archaeologist

An archive containing past featured spotlight works, what we consider, some of the best works on TPS. Feel free to leave comments.
Rainman

Re: The Archaeologist

Post by Rainman » December 18th, 2013, 7:08 am

Hi dechirico,
I like the idea of self-analysis as archaeology, you bring out the compulsive nature of such thoughts. Some of the word choices are consciously archaic, which reflects the subject matter, and there are some vivid images employed throughout the piece. I think you handle the use of iambic pentameter with skill.
A well-composed work in my opinion.

ladylilith
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ladylilith » December 19th, 2013, 6:38 am

I agree with Rainman, there is something compelling about the concept here. I recently read a book called 'Fugitive Pieces' by Ann Michaels, and there were some aspects of the imagery that reminded me of it. Which is definitely a compliment because it that book has haunted me, and your words have a similar kind of echo here- really strong imagery. An engaging piece! Welcome to TPS!

Lily^^

"The night is dark and full of terrors."

DanInGala

Post by DanInGala » December 19th, 2013, 7:05 am

Hi, and a warm welcome to the Sanctuary. I was very taken by the use of the extended metaphor, as noted above by the previous posters. Your diction use and stanza construction is enviable, but it is the associated imagery of the strong metaphor that gels this together into a strong piece of work. I hope we see more from you, impressive stuff.

D

everhopeful
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by everhopeful » December 19th, 2013, 2:11 pm

Welcome to TPS!
As already touched upon by the esteemed commenters above, the extended metaphor is a winner. What was most striking for me was how it contrasted with my lazy stereotypical image of an archaeologist; I was thinking of someone studious, reserved and patient, yet the archaeologist of this poem is more frantic and energetic. In a way it suggests something akin to being bi-polar to me, as the lows are at the absolute pit of emotion, yet the frenzy is referenced in maniacal terms.
I though the summation in closing was quite abrupt and cutting, fully in tune with the feel of the poem as a whole.
Hope you enjoy the site!

tetti2

Post by tetti2 » December 29th, 2013, 10:47 am

I like this a lot as a new member reading this I'm so excited to read more and best place to start is with your work. xx

jsol

Post by jsol » December 29th, 2013, 12:25 pm

Really incredible work. I was so taken with the metaphor of the archaeologist being a plumber of inner depths. But, as is usually the case with me, the imagery gave the poem it's true strength and me the most pause. 'Writhing, viper thoughts, wormlike roots of self, midnight's weighty pall'.. I could go on of course. You have the Poet's Imagination, if there is such a thing, which I believe there is, and I am glad you took the initiative to post to this site.

flux
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by flux » December 29th, 2013, 1:31 pm

This is both clever and imaginative. Your comment afterwards helped me understand the source of your inspiration, but I think you made these ideas very much your own. Your frantic archaeologist is someone I can identify with, such introspection is exhausting.

Make fellow poets happy and comment on their poems.

ImageImageImageImage

dwells
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by dwells » December 30th, 2013, 6:31 pm

Digging up the past - and how we torture ourselves, incessantly and with more aplomb than any medieval Inquisition. Wonderful simile DC and congrats on the spotlight. This one will be hard to surpass I'd guess - welcome to TPS!
Later: just read your first co-comment and we all glom onto bits and pieces from the sum total that is us (nothing new under the sun so to speak). Also Stephen King referenced "The clearing in the middle of the forest" on many occasions in his Dark Tower series as I recall (it does conjure up an image), cheers!

ImageImage Image

Dew
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Dew » December 31st, 2013, 9:19 pm

Great work! I feel like I'd be repeating the above over and over if I try to dissect the work...but let me say, these are comments and reactions to be proud of! This stands out in ways that should give you a feeling of accomplishment! Congrats on spotlighting and welcome to TPS! - dew

Josie

Post by Josie » January 2nd, 2014, 11:37 am

Congratulations for TPS Spotlight recognition. I was weighted down by all the negative findings of his digs until I came to your last verse when he says, "That's enough dejection for the night". It tickled me to think how easy it was for him to say basically, 'Now, that is enough of that." I am still chuckling over your ending.

Image Image

queenjellybean

Post by queenjellybean » January 3rd, 2014, 6:21 am

I really like how this poem characterizes the archaeologists, gives him personality, but doesn't give details plainly. There's so much to infer/imply, I like how you crafted this poem like that. Congratulations on the spotlight, great poem!