Hope Untainted

An archive containing past featured spotlight works, what we consider, some of the best works on TPS. Feel free to leave comments.
allmirth
Elite Member
Elite Member

Hope Untainted

Post by allmirth » June 4th, 2013, 9:45 pm

Hope Untainted

Peppermints and burnt toast
Vicks cough drops and black coffee
Oddly intimate atoms
Odors can recall
Though not recover
That lifetime before
When happiness was a given

Dew
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Hope Untainted

Post by Dew » June 5th, 2013, 7:31 am

a given and taken for granted. I can remember being blind and naive and untested too...then off comes the cover...once tainted, hope becomes like what the greeks describe...the most evil thing of all - dew

gooseberry

Post by gooseberry » June 5th, 2013, 7:35 am

You know,you've really captured the essence of hope here.The peppermints and burnt toast are the treat and the mistake,we can take that and see the sunny side or the cloudy side.Such a lot said in relatively few words,fine work indeed my friend!!

ladymaybebaby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ladymaybebaby » June 5th, 2013, 10:28 am

Hey mirthy,

Good to read you again! Always amazing how a few short lines can put so much imagery into my mind. Even in this case the smells are so familiar you were able to tap into my sense of smell and as well. So much said when you mention the ' peppermints and burnt toast' and in the next line you've gone to ' cough drops and black coffee'. Quite the different morning senarios... A really great write! Again, great to read you!

-LMB
xoxo

Dew and I want you in our posse! Just PM us!

My latest poem: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42651

moe
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by moe » June 5th, 2013, 11:45 am

I read your piece allmirth, it's very good. However I am really happy you're back. I hope you stay with us a good long time
Bienvenue mon amie

moe
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by moe » June 5th, 2013, 11:46 am

I read your piece allmirth, it's very good. However I am really happy you're back. I hope you stay with us a good long time
Bienvenue mon amie

moe
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by moe » June 5th, 2013, 11:47 am

Bienvenue mon amie

flux
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by flux » June 7th, 2013, 5:47 pm

Hi, the minimalist style of this poem is its strength. The few but carefully selected details and that line in the middle, ' Oddly intimate atoms' made me love this poem.

Make fellow poets happy and comment on their poems.

ImageImageImageImage

Baywriter
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Baywriter » June 7th, 2013, 9:30 pm

Great to read you again. I love this. I was actually thinking about this the other day, the strength of the sense of smell, how it triggers memories and takes us back to another life. You expressed this in such a minimal, wonderful way. You brought the reader right into the stark sadness of it. It's hard to be reminded of what was once something wonderful, something we'll never get back again. In an odd way, aroma does this to us, almost gives us a sort of out-of-body experience. Really well-penned. Please keep sharing with us. I've missed your work!

Bay

3 replies for every poem you post! You get what you give!

cafeboy

Post by cafeboy » June 20th, 2013, 1:19 am

A short and wistful write. Just like a hint of a memory. I found the smells well chosen. The sweet and the bitter.

Mangroves(a haibun)
I Stopped Painting.
comments and critiques welcome

allmirth
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by allmirth » June 21st, 2013, 6:14 pm

Hello to all my friends and fellow poets,

Thanks so much for your warm welcome back and you kind and encouraging comments. I hope to really find my way back here soon in a more active sense. I do miss this place, the people and poetry.

Mirthy :lovey: :lovey: :lovey: :lovey: :lovey: :lovey: :lovey: :lovey: :lovey: :lovey:

trell11

Post by trell11 » June 22nd, 2013, 12:44 pm

I'm back too, I remember you. Love this simple yet complex poem about the senses and I associate it with how we first feel when we discover new things and they being us happiness. But then as time wears on we become accustomed and take for granted the little things like smelling a hot cup of coffee. Good write my friend and welcome back.

"It will not always be this way. I have the power to change things and I do my best everyday to make it better than the last"

CLICK HERE TO READ MY BIO OR COMMENT ON MY COLLECTED WORKS

Image..Image..

Dew
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Dew » February 2nd, 2014, 5:52 am

Looking up at your comments...looks like you found your way back! Congrats on the spotlight Myrph! An awesome pick for this week!!! I still find remarkable how this short poem touches something common to all while drilling into the smallest concrete images and largest abstractions...sweeet! - dew

bandgeekfreak

Post by bandgeekfreak » February 2nd, 2014, 1:00 pm

Really enjoyable read, I love how you captured hope. Congrats on the spotlight :happyy:

tangerinepie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by tangerinepie » February 2nd, 2014, 1:45 pm

Hi..Very enjoyable read..it reminded me of all the concoctions I used last week for my head cold..LOL..The last two lines stick with me the most though..Well done and a choice spotlight piece..Tangie..

candlewitch
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by candlewitch » February 2nd, 2014, 2:31 pm

Excellent, Mirthy!!! So glad to see you! (I missed reading your well thought out comments, too!!!

>{^*;*^}<

love ya to pieces, Cat

ImageImageImage

Rainman

Post by Rainman » February 2nd, 2014, 5:14 pm

Such a discrete and wistful piece. The memory cues of smell and taste immediately make one think of Proust and Swann's Way, and the search for innocence. I like how "untainted" has visual links to "unattained" in the mind's eye.
Nice work!

garic

Post by garic » February 2nd, 2014, 9:21 pm

Really, really liked this, I think because I am especially fond of works that reflect on states of human consciousness.

I remember the first time I went skiing in the rockies - awestruck by the face of Lake Louise as the ski lift carried my to the top. While the cold smell of snow in nature can bring the memory back, even if I went to Lake Louise again, I could never recapture the exhilheration of the first time.

dornicks
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by dornicks » February 4th, 2014, 3:02 pm

The brevity and theme combine well in this piece to make it worthy of being Spotlighted. Congratulations,

dornicks

inflames
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by inflames » February 5th, 2014, 4:15 pm

I know this feeling. Sometimes I catch a whiff of what I am sure was a version of past me, at some point in time. It's hard to swallow sometimes. Congrats on a well deserved spotlight. This is a very influential and meaningful piece.

"I don't see novels ending with any real sense of closure."
– Michael Ondaatje