Auschwitz

An archive containing past featured spotlight works, what we consider, some of the best works on TPS. Feel free to leave comments.
cariusal

Auschwitz

Post by cariusal » May 5th, 2012, 6:44 am

Auschwitz

Old man why do you live in yesterday
Raking the leaves of long dead winters
Picking over the strands of recollection
Travelling the road of used to be
Two, six, four, one, nine, three
~
Scavenger in the fields of memory
A nomad on the plains of time
Through fading eyes you strive to see
Those rusting rails to eternity
~
Bury the bones, interne the past
Let me take your hand
Just two short steps to tomorrow
This is no place for you and me

ladylilith
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Auschwitz

Post by ladylilith » May 5th, 2012, 7:33 am

A harrowing write. You captured all the emotion and implication without implicitly stating the obcious, the title sets the reader up with all the knowledge they need to know. The use of the number was clever, the repetition hammering home that idea that the atrocity can never be truly recovered from or forgot.

Impressive work! I always look forward to reading your writing though.

Lily^^

"The night is dark and full of terrors."

Chelle
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Chelle » May 5th, 2012, 9:58 pm

Cari...reading this was hard for me. I remembered all the stories I heard told by the old ones at the synagogue and I couldn't help but close my eyes. I'll never know personally what it was like but I can see how easy it would be to get trapped into it for the rest of your life, unable to move on from the trauma. I love the way you depicted that dilemma.

Thanks.

Looking For a Few Good Staff:If you're thinking about being a moderator-please check this out and apply!
TPS Moderator Application

Toni Remington

Post by Toni Remington » May 6th, 2012, 9:50 am

The image my mind conjured was so sad. I imagined this old man--a survivor of Auschwitz--now in a new place a new home. War is years in the past, but he's so depressed. Can't let it go. It's like he's still living there, even though he's free. He's still a prisoner in his own mind. It gave me a PTSD perspective of the victims. This was well done. Clappy Clappy for you.

My Poet File

If you adore archaic poetry and dabble in its grammatical use then please read, When Using Archaic Grammar. This information will help you know when to differentiate thee and thou, my and mine, and thy and thine.

ladymaybebaby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ladymaybebaby » May 6th, 2012, 2:37 pm

This was a difficult read for me. Only my great grandfather made it out of Poland in time. I have seen the list of relatives lost in the death camps. Not a one survived. The use of the number stamp was especially hard hitting. The repetion of it was powerful. The victims and survivors I think became haunted by being reduced to just a number. You handled a difficult topic brilliantly. Just the right approach. As hard as it was to read, I must say you did the topic justice in a hauntingly sad and powerful way. Thank you. -LMB xoxo

Dew and I want you in our posse! Just PM us!

My latest poem: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42651

rupertpupkin

Post by rupertpupkin » November 10th, 2018, 3:14 am

Brilliant write. Loved the repitive last line. Great poem by a member that is sorely missed. Well done on the spotlight.

ImageImage