Selfishly, You Went

An archive containing past featured spotlight works, what we consider, some of the best works on TPS. Feel free to leave comments.
miharu
Elite Member
Elite Member

Selfishly, You Went

Post by miharu » February 20th, 2013, 9:50 pm

written circa winter 2012

--

I find you everywhere,
Settled amid flour, or
Soap cracks during wine baths,
Serving up vague remembrances of
Actions long gone by.
There is never any room,
But wound into cracks and crannies,
You have stolen your fit.

There is balance in the space of living-
Rhythm and cadence and building
to forever combat breaking.
I would search for peace
Somewhere if you’d let me,
By dancing on your headstone to
Juxtapose the sadness of goodbye.

I still find you in cold snow
Between my toes and while
Holding live coals to fight the dark.
“Why say yes when you can say no?”
I watched with baited breath
As you blew out your light.

I swore I would wait out your
Splinters and half pieces
And replace your cells with
New holes of my own.
Daily I keep cutting parts
And mending threads to make a whole,
You will find me dancing
Some winter on a gravestone
And won’t dare to sing along.

Chelle
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: Selfishly, You Went

Post by Chelle » February 21st, 2013, 10:09 pm

i missed you dreadfully. and this is why. I wish i could go dancing on a gravestone someday myself. well maybe two.

Looking For a Few Good Staff:If you're thinking about being a moderator-please check this out and apply!
TPS Moderator Application

Mr D
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Mr D » February 22nd, 2013, 4:55 am

this was great poetry....the way you presented it, it's wonderful, even in its feelings...i have liked this piece a lot, thank you for that,
D

Darkness is the canvas, light is the paint
I dont mind if you guys just read without commenting my stuff :)

AliMariesDad

Post by AliMariesDad » February 22nd, 2013, 12:26 pm

Wow, miharu. What powerful imagery. What incredible allusions. A fantastic poem.
AMD

everhopeful
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by everhopeful » February 22nd, 2013, 12:37 pm

Even within an anger poem you have written this so elegantly, it's really a remarkable read. I think the way you have emphasised the lingering nature of the emotion, like being stuck with a permanent hangover, makes it easy to understand just why the speaker needs closure so badly, because when it crops up in the smaller details of life it's a lot harder to manage.
Excellent writing.

the quiet poet

Post by the quiet poet » February 23rd, 2013, 12:09 am

I love the rich vocabulary. Great work. Hopefully I'll get to read some more great stuff from you in the future!

The Quiet Poet

:heart:

Click HERE to view my poet file!

tangerinepie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by tangerinepie » February 25th, 2013, 9:13 am

Hello..How can one find words to express the brilliance of this poem? It really is too remarkable to think of adequate accolades.It is absolutely one of the finest writes I have seen in ages, and I mean that sincerely.Thank you so much for sharing..Tangie..

Ladywildalice
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Ladywildalice » February 25th, 2013, 2:41 pm

The musicality of this piece reminds me of a melody sung by a wandering minstrel, winding down a dark pathway through a wooded wander-land, telling a tale for lonely nights and longing ears. Excellent and so vibrant. Much appreciated

'Where ecstasy leaves gravity and dances with wild eyes' by Ladywildalice

miharu
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by miharu » February 25th, 2013, 9:31 pm

Chelle wrote:i missed you dreadfully. and this is why. I wish i could go dancing on a gravestone someday myself. well maybe two.
One for each foot, or two for twice the cathartic release! Let me know when you go - I could use a dancing buddy so I don't lose myself in melancholy over here!
Mr D wrote:this was great poetry....the way you presented it, it's wonderful, even in its feelings...i have liked this piece a lot, thank you for that,
D
No no, thank you for reading! Your appreciation means so much. (:
AliMariesDad wrote:Wow, miharu. What powerful imagery. What incredible allusions. A fantastic poem.
AMD
I am humbled by your kind words. (: I only hope to continue to live up to them!
everhopeful wrote:Even within an anger poem you have written this so elegantly, it's really a remarkable read. I think the way you have emphasised the lingering nature of the emotion, like being stuck with a permanent hangover, makes it easy to understand just why the speaker needs closure so badly, because when it crops up in the smaller details of life it's a lot harder to manage.
Excellent writing.
Lingering and simmering, and no matter how much poetry I write I continue to find these emotions scattered around. Ugh. Thank you for reading; in a way, sharing helps most of all.
the quiet poet wrote:I love the rich vocabulary. Great work. Hopefully I'll get to read some more great stuff from you in the future!
It would be my pleasure if you were able to! Thanks for commenting. (:
tangerinepie wrote:Hello..How can one find words to express the brilliance of this poem? It really is too remarkable to think of adequate accolades.It is absolutely one of the finest writes I have seen in ages, and I mean that sincerely.Thank you so much for sharing..Tangie..
How can I find the words to thank you for this review? You are much to kind, and I am humbled by your words. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!
Ladywildalice wrote:The musicality of this piece reminds me of a melody sung by a wandering minstrel, winding down a dark pathway through a wooded wander-land, telling a tale for lonely nights and longing ears. Excellent and so vibrant. Much appreciated
What a lovely image! Thank you for reading, and commenting to share your thoughts. It is much appreciated. (:

ladymaybebaby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ladymaybebaby » February 26th, 2013, 10:57 am

I love what you do with 'language' when you write! It's beyond the wonderful command of the metaphor, it has a very Plath-esque feel to it and that makes me giddy with delight! Each line just plays perfectly into the next, it seems effortless and it reads like a dream! Love, love, love this!

I wonderful piece lassie! :pirate: ( that's the pirate in me talking )

-R
xoxo

Oh, and I'm bookmarking this piece for my very private and high end collection! Thanks for the wonderful contribution!

Dew and I want you in our posse! Just PM us!

My latest poem: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42651

miharu
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by miharu » March 3rd, 2013, 9:54 pm

ladymaybebaby wrote:I love what you do with 'language' when you write! It's beyond the wonderful command of the metaphor, it has a very Plath-esque feel to it and that makes me giddy with delight! Each line just plays perfectly into the next, it seems effortless and it reads like a dream! Love, love, love this!

I wonderful piece lassie! :pirate: ( that's the pirate in me talking )

-R
xoxo

Oh, and I'm bookmarking this piece for my very private and high end collection! Thanks for the wonderful contribution!
Well, I must confess to not knowing what you mean by "Plath-esque", but I certainly am curious! Do you mean Sylvia Plath?

To your other comments, I can only offer a "thank you" filled with gratitude for your reading. (:

petaeraugustus

Post by petaeraugustus » March 21st, 2013, 2:36 pm

You are a very talented poet, miharu. It is easy to tell that you truly have a special knack for poetry. Fantastic poem from you as usual.

potentialpoet

Post by potentialpoet » November 23rd, 2014, 11:33 am

Maybe what I like most about this poem is its use of metaphor to express a sense of loss and even impotence in the face of loss. It gives the poem a certain solemnity. The language is very well suited to the purpose of communicating emotion and to creating visual images that are powerful and poignant.

Jovel320
Elite Member
Elite Member
Location: Spellbound by the riches of life and the infinite wisdom of nature

Post by Jovel320 » November 24th, 2014, 7:30 pm

A reminder of how we are remembered by our loved ones. I like the last 2 stanzas best and you had great usage of language and phrasing in those. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the spotlight.!!
Jovel

dornicks
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by dornicks » November 28th, 2014, 4:36 pm

An admirable write, to the point of being enviable. A picture in words. ( Careful it's not a sea burial!). A worthy chioce for the spotlight.

dornicks

jsol

Post by jsol » July 31st, 2018, 7:08 pm

beautiful beast of a poem