Are We There Yet?©

An archive containing past featured spotlight works, what we consider, some of the best works on TPS. Feel free to leave comments.
Rassy48
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Are We There Yet?©

Post by Rassy48 » January 29th, 2014, 11:09 am

DreamerMMA wrote:This one really hit home for me.

I was a country boy, grew up in the woods and mountains.

I didn't get more than a couple of lines deep before a lot of memories came flooding in. I had to pause a few times while reading this to let it all sink in and marinate with my memories.

This is a fantastic poem, laced with nostalgia and longing. My inner child thanks you from his favorite play spot in the woods.
DreamerMMA,
Where I lived, that section of town was just beginning to develop, so we were fortunate to partake of those wonder natural surroundings that Nature was kind enough to share. It will never be the same. Thank-you so much for stopping by and your wonderful insights.
Joanne

Writing my poetry is a passion. Reading your poetry is a privilege.

Image Image

Rassy48
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Rassy48 » January 29th, 2014, 11:19 am

everhopeful wrote:No wonder our speaker was so eager to get there! This is a lovely, scenic piece of fond reminiscence penned in a way where it's so easy for the reader to connect to the speaker's experience, and set them thinking about the places in their own life with the same relevance and appeal.
The ending line was a wonderful way to show the speaker had fully regressed back to their childhood, and all of their enthusiasm was flooding out.
Nice to see you on the site again, and congratulations on the spotlight!

everhopeful,
Thank-you for your visit and kind words. I only wish it were that easy to change things back to simpler times and a more laid back lifestyle. Seems like so many are in a hurry to get to nowhere, then wonder why we were in such a hurry. I would like to turn back some of these "progressive steps forward". I appreciate your visit and your comments.
Joanne

Image Image

SirFleshwound

Post by SirFleshwound » January 31st, 2014, 4:00 am

This was at once evocative and soul warming as I was led through the hedge towed country lanes of my youth. Each reader finds reference aided by own childhood memory, that is the real elegant charm of this fleeting sojourn down memory lane. A spotlight gem. Congratulations. Michael.

Rassy48
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Rassy48 » January 31st, 2014, 9:19 am

Michael,
One thing that can never be taken away from us is our memories ... the "simple life" we had growing up before the "responsibilities of adulthood". Even then one has only to close their eyes and think back. Thank-you so much for stopping by and for your kind remarks.
Joanne

Image Image

garic

Post by garic » January 31st, 2014, 9:53 pm

This had impact on me too. I returned to my childhood home after a 5 year absense and all my old nature haunts were subdivisions (and that was years ago). Your piece released some still old grief - movement to something new through that "feels right to feel" feeling.

Josie

Post by Josie » February 1st, 2014, 1:33 pm

Another child thanks you for the walk back in time to the scenes filled with joyful memories. Congrats on the TPS Spotlight. Your poem was filled with images, each probably echoing another poem that a reader could enjoy. Thank you for sharing.
Please accept my words of comfort on your recent loss
Josie

Image Image

dwells
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by dwells » February 2nd, 2014, 10:56 pm

Mine was a Red Ryder or was that my BB-gun? The sled was a Flexible Flyer, that never "flexed". I can remember dragging it home on frozen streets and sidewalks. We also used cardboard sheets in autum when the grass was brown and dry. - Cheers Joanne and some good memories of bad days in Indiana! - Dan

ImageImage Image

Rassy48
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Rassy48 » June 27th, 2014, 9:16 pm

DreamerMMA wrote:This one really hit home for me.

I was a country boy, grew up in the woods and mountains.

I didn't get more than a couple of lines deep before a lot of memories came flooding in. I had to pause a few times while reading this to let it all sink in and marinate with my memories.

This is a fantastic poem, laced with nostalgia and longing. My inner child thanks you from his favorite play spot in the woods.

DreamerMMA
Sorry for the late reply. Been away fro the boards for awhile. I wrote as a true reflection of what at of us kids would in the neighborhood in which I grew up. Progress has all but swept away all those special place we knew. Thanks for your wonderful comments. We still have are memories!!
Joanne

Image Image